Our nervous system allows us to speak, swallow, breathe, learn and live. It is a complex and elaborate system that regulates how we move about the world. The brain, spinal cord, and nerves make up the nervous system. Without this system, we would not have our memory, senses, or mood. The nervous system is vulnerable and can be damaged by injuries, infections, tumors, disorders, and degeneration.
Did you know that there are more than 600 neurological disorders?1 Let us look at the most common ones:
- Infections - Meningitis, Encephalitis, Myelitis, and Epidural Abscess
- Genetic Disease - Huntington's Chorea, Muscular Dystrophy and Alzheimer's Disease.
- Vascular Disorders - Stroke, Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, Subdural Hemorrhage and Hematoma, and Extradural Hemorrhage
- Structural Disorders - such as Guillain-Barré Syndrome, Brain or Spinal Cord Injury, Cervical Spondylosis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Brain or Spinal Cord Tumors
- Functional Disorders - such as Headache, Epilepsy, Dizziness, and Neuralgia
- Autoimmune or Inflammatory Disorders - Multiple Sclerosis, Peripheral Neuropathy, and Guillain-Barré Syndrome
Understanding the symptoms of neurological disorders is essential. There are some general warning signs to watch out for. Talk with your healthcare provider if you experience any of these symptoms:
- A headache that changes or is severe and frequent
- Loss of sight or double vision
- Memory loss
- Loss of muscle strength and weakness
- Tremors and seizures
- Lack of coordination
- Language impairment
- Back pain which radiates to the feet, toes, or other parts of the body
Our nervous system organizes, distinguishes, and connects us to the world around us. Nerve disorders affect millions of people every year, and many are unaware they have one. The symptoms of a nerve disorder may look like other medical conditions. Always see a healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
North Suffolk Neurology has more than 30 years of experience treating neurological diseases and nerve disorders. We provide you with the comprehensive and compassionate medical care that you deserve.
North Suffolk Neurology is a full-service Neurology, Headache Medicine, and Sleep Medicine practice. Our neurologists are board certified with a commitment to help patients and their families maintain and improve health.